Acclaimed Oregon troubadour Tim Hardin is one of the most influential and respected singer-songwriters of all time, not that the man himself cared much for the title. “My songs aren’t personal,” he insisted before his death in 1980. “They sound it ‘cos it was me who revealed them, but it was my head that got the lightning shot through it.” An interesting choice of descriptive, seeing as how for his many devotees, his bewitching folk music has the same knockout power as a ten thousand volt lightning strike from the sky – instantaneous, bruising, beautiful, electrifying.
Patti Smith expressed her admiration for Tim Hardin’s music in her memoir Just Kids, for instance: “My brother gave us a new needle for our record player… we happily listened to Tim Hardin, his songs becoming our songs, the expression of our young love.” (p.44) and “I played Tim Hardin songs for my lovers and told them of you.” (p.274) referring to Mapplethorpe.
Reason To Believe – The Songs Of Tim Hardin (out 2/12/13 on Full Time Hobby) Tracklisting:
1. The Phoenix Foundation – Don’t Make Promises You Can’t Keep
2. The Sand Band – Reason To Believe
3. Mark Lanegan – Red Balloon
4. Diagrams – Part Of The Wind
5. The Magnetic North – It’s Hard To Believe In Love For Long
6. Alela Diane – How Can We Hang On To A Dream
7. Snorri Helgason – Misty Roses
8. Sarabeth Tucek – If I Knew
9. Okkervil River – It’ll Never Happen Again
10. Smoke Fairies – If I Were A Carpenter
11. Gavin Clark – Shiloh Town
12. Hannah Peel – Lenny’s Tune
13. Pinkunoizu – I Can’t Slow Down