In the 15 years since its release, American Football’s self-titled debut full-length has quietly become one of the most beloved titles in the Polyvinyl catalog. Though the trio — Mike Kinsella (Cap’n Jazz, Owen, Owls), Steve Lamos, and Steve Holmes — only played a few shows and released just one other record (a three-song EP that preceded this full-length).
After guitarist Steve Holmes discovered a set of cassette tapes containing a variety of unreleased recordings, the band curated an album’s worth of these rare live recordings, demos, and practice sessions (in which the group rehearsed material they never recorded elsewhere) to complement the original record.
Available May 20, 2014 as a limited edition 2xLP of 2,000 copies on 180-gram green/yellow vinyl exclusive to the Polyvinyl webstore, unlimited 180-gram red vinyl, 2xCD and on cassette, American Football is being re-issued with beautifully expanded packaging that incorporates new photographs from Chris Strong along with lyrics, detailed liner notes written by the band, and never-before-seen band pictures.
1. Never Meant
2. The Summer Ends
4. For Sure
5. You Know I Should Be Leaving Soon
6. But the Regrets Are Killing Me
7. I’ll See You When We’re Both Not So Emotional
8. Stay Home
9. The One With The Wurlitzer
10. Intro [Live at the Blind Pig, Champaign, IL, 1997]
11. Five Silent Miles [Live at the Blind Pig, Champaign, IL, 1997]
12. Untitled #1 (The One With the Trumpet) [Boombox Practice Session, 1998]
13. Untitled #2 [Boombox Practice Session, 1998]
14. Stay Home [Boombox Practice Session, 1998]
15. Untitled #3 [Boombox Practice Session, 1999]
16. Never Meant [4-Track Album Prep, 1999]
17. But the Regrets Are Killing Me [4-Track Album Prep, 1999]
18. I’ll See You When We’re Both Not So Emotional [4-Track Album Prep, 1999]
19. The 7’s [Live at the Blind Pig, Champaign, IL, 1997]