Mouse On Mars have announced 21 Agaian, 21ST Anniversary Ddouble CD, out October 31ST on Monkeytown Records. How many internationally influential pop acts has Germany thrown into the mix? Kraftwerk, of course, followed by Can and the other Krautrock pioneers – Neu! and Cluster, Tangerine Dream and Faust; after that, Einsturzende Neubauten, perhaps. And in the mid-1990s, Mouse on Mars, have been known for their blend of concept, experiment and pop.
After two decades of constant innovation and reinvention. The band’s anniversary release – a compilation celebrating 21 years of band history with a bit more than 21 collaborations – seems like a logical move. The surface of pop music thrives on change, on constant renewal, and the Mouse on Mars phenomenon fuses this mutability with a myriad of voices caught in a proliferating web of dialogue. Dialogue with their audience, with their own musical roots, and dialogue within a complex web of interdisciplinary partnerships and relationships. In this framework, theory, sound research and deep, sensual experiences are no longer mutually exclusive. And at the heart of these oscillating force fields, Jan St. Werner and Andi Toma invariably remain themselves – curious.
In this spirit, Mouse on Mars celebrate their “coming of age” surrounded by 30 of their peers.
21 again sees them dabbling in laid-back disco funk with Tim Gane (Stereolab / Cavern of Anti-Matter) or spinning jittery dream pop with Scratch Pet Land. Their collaboration with Candie Hank spawned a kind of desert polka, while Modeselektor and Puppetmastaz inspired anthemic hip-hop excursions. Tortoise and Laetitia Sadier take the duo into neo-post-rock territory, Eric D Clark supplies radio-friendly song-writing skills, Funkstörung – reunited for the occasion – deliver broken funk while the song with Junior Boys reinterprets R’n’B as a holographic genre. 21 again is an ode to joy and to the friends of the band.
Mouse on Mars 21 Again Festival takes place October 31st and November 1st at HAU 21 Hebbel Theatres in Berlin.
21 Again is out as a double-CD on October 31st via Monkeytown Records.
Ladies and Gentlemen, please celebrate the 21st century with Mouse on Mars.
21 Again Tracklisting:
01. Eli & Mark E. Smith: 21 Again
02. Mouse On Mars & Cavern of Anti-Matter: Fertilized
03. Mouse On Mars & Tortoise: Shoe Fly
04. A Hawk And A Hacksaw & Balàzs Unger: Celebration Song Mouse On Mars & Errorsmith: Errormom
05. Mouse On Mars & Eric D Clark: Lost And Found
06. Mouse on Mars & Modeselektor feat. Mr. Maloke: Purple Fog
07. Mouse on Mars & Siriusmo: Immer Kurz Davor
08. Mouse on Mars & Scratch Pet Land: Splymogym
09. Mouse on Mars & Dodo NKishi: Queen Für Erschein
10. Mouse On Mars & Atom TM: Key My Brain
11. AGF / Delay Team: 21 Momstars
12. Mouse on Mars & Helado Negro: Carca Jadas
13. Mouse On Mars & Laetitia Sadier: My Toe Is On Fire
01. Ingrid & Oswald Wiener: Wir möchten auch drauf sein
02. Mouse On Mars & Schlammpeitziger: Ein Leben Wie Heu
03. Mouse on Mars & Junior Boys: Putty Tart
04. Mouse on Mars & Candie Hank: Metaloona Swamp
05. David Michael Digregorio & Sung Huang Kim: We’re Glad You Are Born Today, Unless You Weren’t Born Today
06. Mouse on Mars & Machinedrum – Juice Clr 9
07. Mouse On Mars & Mesak & Claws Costeau: Somiak
08. Mouse on Mars & F.X. Randomiz: Fromm
09. Prefuse 73: 90’s
10. Mouse on Mars & Funkstörung: Bon Djerry
11. Mouse on Mars & Yoshimi: NKANKA
12. Mouse on Mars & Matthew Herbert aka DJ’s Collapse: Double Gum
13. Mouse on Mars & Olivia Block: Pterion
14. Mouse on Mars & Oval: Gitto Ski
15. Mouse on Mars & Tyondai Braxton: Off Sea
16. DJ Sotch Egg: Mouse On Egg (Happy Birthday!)